Design Control & Guidance: Towards generative communication between architects and planners
Within the program of METU International Symposium on Urban Design, Tony Hall masterclass was organized in the form of one-day intensive workshop on October 7th, 2016 METU Faculty of Architecture, Ankara.
With the corporation of three universities (METU, Bilkent and TEDU) in Ankara, twenty-four students from the departments of architecture, urban planning, and landscape architecture and urban design experimented design process to be guided and controlled by codes and principles. Following the introductory lectures of Prof. Tony Hall on his Chelmsford experience in design control, and that by Prof. Nil Uzun on urban transformation in Turkey, the students visited Ayranci neighborhood in Ankara and observed the actual outcome of the transformation process on site. Within the multidisciplinary groups composed, the students produced a series of frameworks on designing urban block. The masterclass ended with presentation of the works and panel discussion led by Prof. Tony Hall.
- 9.30 a.m. Lecture by Professor Tony Hall
- 11.00 a.m. Coffee break
- 11.15 a.m. Lecture by Professor Nil Duruöz Uzun
- 12.15 p.m. Lunch
- 12.45 p.m. Site visit: Ayrancı, Ankara
- 14.30 p.m. Design workshop
- 18.00 p.m. Group presentations and discussion.
- ‘Controlling Design’: The Basic Tools &Techniques -the Chelmsford Experience-
by Prof. Dr. Tony Hall (Emeritus Professor of Town Planning, Anglia Ruskin University, the UK)
- Urban Transformation in Turkey: Typological Change in Residential Fabric’
by Prof. Dr. Nil Duruöz Uzun (METU Faculty of Architecture, Department of City and Regional Planning)
- Dr. Olgu Çalışkan (METU, Dept. of City and Regional Planning)
- Eren Efeoğlu (METU, Dept. of City and Regional Planning)
- Neris Parlak (METU, Dept. of Architecture)
- Ensar Temizel (METU, Dept. of Architecture)
- Onur Tümtürk (METU, Dept. of City and Regional Planning)
- Dr. Didem Dizdaroğlu (BILKENT)
- Irmak Yavuz (TEDU, Dept. of City and Regional Planning)